Pages

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Mirror, Mirror

Mirror, Mirror, on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?

I don't want to be the world's top model, but I do want to be beautiful.

A little while ago, I stopped in front of the mirror to check how I looked, a thought came to mind, 
"Why do you look in the mirror so much?" . . .

Figuring the question was from God, I cringed as I realized the answer.
"Because I want to know if I am beautiful."

The next thought was a gentle invitation, "Don't look at the mirror to determine your beauty. Look at me. Then you will radiate true beauty."

I thought about this revelation.

The Bible says Moses spoke with God, face to face, like a man talking to his friend. When he emerged from these appointments, he had to cover his face because it was so brilliant. I would say that's beautiful. (Exodus 33:11, Exodus 33:29-35, 2 Corinthians 3:7-18)

I wrote my thoughts, trusting they were messages from the Lord.

"When you look at me, you'll see the reflection you were made to have, and it will be beautiful. Almost too glorious to behold. I am beautiful and I made beauty. As you look at me, you will reflect your true beauty that I placed in you when I created you. I am your source of beauty. The mirror does not tell you if you are beautiful or not. People do not tell you if you are beautiful or not. You are beautiful because I made you. You are beautiful because you carry me inside you. You are beautiful as you look at me. People will notice that beauty, because it is real. But they do not determine if you are beautiful or not. You are, because I AM."

A challenge: Did a 'mirror fast'. Tried not to look at myself in a mirror for two weeks, to learn and listen to God define and declare my beauty.

It was hard but good. I didn't do it perfectly, but I did rely less and less on the mirror to say if I was beautiful, because I couldn't use the mirror. Then recently, one week after the challenge, I had a thought, "Look in the mirror. Do you see your beauty? This is what I gave you. You carry this whether you look in a mirror or not."

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment